What is Get Active, You Can Do It?
The Get Active, You Can Do It! programme is a free to join rewards programme designed to help you get active, earn rewards and support charities. It rewards active travel for commuting and leisure trips and encourages regular, healthy activity amongst residents and employees in Glasgow. The programme is available now until Thursday 30 September 2021.
Why should I take part?
BetterPoints is an award-winning platform that encourages people to get active by walking, running or cycling more, for commuting or leisure. Taking part in this programme will potentially boost your morale and activity levels, which will contribute to your overall health and wellbeing. You will also get the opportunity to contribute to Glasgow as a whole through shopping on your high street or making charitable donations with points you have earned for active journeys.
How can I get involved?
- Download the free BetterPoints app from the App store or Google Play.
- Register on the app.
- Join the Get Active, You Can Do It! Programme.
- To manually record a journey, tap the Play button at the start of your journey. Don’t forget to press stop when you’re finished.
- Or, to track your activity automatically switch the automatic tracking function on, the app will then pick up when you’re on the move.
- Check your points balance and help your favourite cause via the Donations tab or treat yourself via the Rewards catalogue.
How can I get involved if I don’t have access to a smartphone?
- Pick up your Get Active Passport from the Phoenix Centre, 5 Shandwick St, Glasgow, Glasgow G34 9DP.
- You will need to register your details whilst at the centre.
- Get your guide to challenges at the Phoenix Centre – you will be provided with a challenge number and help with recording your progress.
- Each time you complete a challenge you will need to return to the Phoenix Centre to get your passport stamped.
- The more stamps you get, the closer you get to earning Rewards.
- Rewards, in the form of vouchers, can be collected at the Phoenix Centre.
- Present your voucher at participating retailers to redeem your rewards.
N.B. The Get Active Passport is running in conjunction with the Get Active, You Can Do It! programme, but is separate from the BetterPoints platform. All other information in these FAQs is only relevant for the Get Active, You Can Do It! BetterPoints programme.
How can I earn points or win a prize?
In the Get Active, You Can Do It! programme (until 30 September 2021) you can earn points, rewards or be entered into prize draws. Please follow this link to learn more.
What is the difference between BetterTickets and BetterPoints?
BetterPoints can be earned by tracking your walking, running, wheeling and cycling activities - over time they add up. Your points balance appears in the menu on the left of the app. Once you’ve collected enough points you can redeem them against vouchers in the catalogue on the app or donate them to charity.
BetterTickets are prize draw entries earned for doing a specific activity. The tickets you earn automatically enter you into our weekly or monthly prize draws. The more tickets you earn, the more chance you have of winning.
What can I spend my points on?
You can give your points to your favourite charity by tapping Donate in the app, or check out our list of national vouchers by tapping Redeem.
Given the current situation with COVID-19, is it safe to take part this programme?
Rest assured that all the activities promoted as part of this programme fall in line with current safety recommendations and advice regarding COVID-19. Walking, running and cycling can be done on an individual basis with adherence to social distancing guidelines. All social activities promoted by the programme take place online and therefore do not encourage physical contact of any sort.
Can I take part if I am in a wheelchair, and if so, how do I record my journeys?
Yes, if you wheel you can still take part. You download the app as per the instructions on ‘How can I get involved’. If you select automatic tracking, your app will automatically track your journey. Due to the motion sensors inbuilt in your device, and our algorithms in the app, it may assume you are cycling, rather than wheeling. In your timeline after completing your journey you will be able to amend this to wheeling and your journey will be updated. You will still be awarded the same amount of points/tickets as walking, running or cycling journeys.
Do you have any more questions?
If you have any other questions in advance of signing up to the programme that are not covered on this page, then please contact get in touch via the help section of the app.